Summer Scheme Youth Workers
ARC Summer Scheme 2023
Job Title: ARC Youth Workers Ref: SYW23
Location: The ARC Healthy Living Centre, Irvinestown
Responsible to: Project Co-Ordinator / Leader in Charge
Accountable to: ARC CEO / Board of Directors
Hours of employment: Up to 35 hours per week
Duration: 10th July 2023 to 25th August 2023 (inclusive and must be available for duration)
Renumeration: National minimum wage
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist the Summer Scheme Leader with efficient and effective delivery of the Summer Scheme for the benefit of the children and families involved.
- To be available for briefing/setting up and debriefing/clearing away as required.
- To supervise and support children while they attend.
- To maintain a record of pupils’ attendance as required
- To be aware of school policies and procedures and ensure these are adhered.
- To leave the Summer Scheme area in a tidy condition after each session.
This job description is not intended to be rigid but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works.
Job Purpose: To assist with the design and delivery of a structured programme of health promoting diversionary youth activities to children and young people living in and around the Irvinestown area. Supervise activities from Monday to Friday, some evening, and weekends, if required, adhering to the principles of the ARC Healthy Living Centre.
- Work with children using a child centred approach to ensure they are participating in a fun-based programme in accordance with the maturation levels.
- Work alongside parents to encourage appropriate interaction / participation with the programme.
- Provide an appropriate, stimulating environment for the children and young people using the resources available.
- Ensure relevant information regarding children is recorded and reports produced when required.
- Participation in regular evaluation of the project and in conjunction with the EDGE Project Co-ordinator provide updates for the management committee and funders.
- Be responsible for aspects of safety relating to ARC Centre ACTIVE ALLSORTS and those who use the facilities at other venues.
- In conjunction with the Project Co-ordinator promote the health and safety of children and young people attending the centre.
- Adhere to appropriate systems and policy.
- Participate in ongoing training in order to stay informed of policy developments.
- Any other appropriate duties as required.
Health and Safety
In conjunction with the organisational policy and procedures, assume responsibility for the maintenance, upkeep and Health & Safety of your working environment.
Implement and adhere to Government legislation pertaining to Health and Safety.
Applicants will be subject to all required vetting including Access NI, Social Services, Health Declaration and references.
This list is not exhaustive and may be subject to change or amendment in line with meeting business objectives.
For Job Description and personnel specification please contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR Personnel Department
ARC Healthy Living Centre Ltd
Co. Fermanagh, BT94 1HQ
Tel: 028 686 28741/ Southern 048 68628741
APPLY DIRECTLY ON OUR WEBSITE: https://www.archlc.com/category/careers
Closing date for return of completed application Friday 24th March 2023 before 4pm.
ARC HLC LTD is an equal opportunities employer.
Empathy with the aims and objectives of EDGE and ARC HLC
1 Years previous appropriate experience (paid or voluntary)
Ability to provide age-appropriate play/activities for children using the facility.
Ability to implement appropriate behaviour management where necessary.
Knowledge and understanding of child protection legislation and issues.
Time management skills
Good interpersonal and communication skills
Appropriate health and safety knowledge
Ability to manage stress and resolve difficulties.
Ability to work unsociable hours.
Youth work qualification
Experience of working with disadvantaged children and their parents
Ability to contribute to writing reports
Ability to swim
First Aid Qualification
Experience of outdoor pursuit’s activity
Knowledge of I.T.
This post will require some out of hours working (evenings and weekends). The posts are based in ARC Healthy Living Centre, Irvinestown.
Appointment will be subject to Criminal Records Checks, Health Declaration and Western Health and Social Care Trust vetting procedures.
Job Plan for Seasonal Youth Worker
General Duties for Youth Workers
Under the guidance of the Project Co-ordinator the Youth Workers will work towards the social integration, participation, and development of all children within the centre.
Planning & coordination of all programmes are the responsibly of the Project Co-ordinator and is not expected. Likewise, neither the handling of sensitive/challenging issues with parents nor the making of decisions about children’s continued attendance is expected. The Youth Worker is, however, expected to play an important role in assisting the senior staff in their positions.
The main areas of involvement are listed below. The list is by no means exhaustive.
The Display of Children’s Work
Each child’s work is valued and displayed with headings. The Youth Workers will assist senior staff in organising this activity. Assistance with the production and lamination of labels and notices is anticipated.
Replenishment of Stock
All staff are encouraged to survey stock in order to recommend necessary re-ordering e.g. paper, card, paint, washing up liquid, etc.
The Youth Worker is required, with other staff, to maintain the toy room / store in a tidy and workable order.
The Youth Worker may be required to give special care and attention to a child who takes ill during the session.
Visits, Day Trips and Walks
During such events the Youth Worker may be expected to assist with supervision of the children and ensure their safety. Policies must be strictly adhered to on these occasions.
All staff are expected to help keep the premises clean and tidy. Duties involve tidying up after activities: vacuuming, dusting, mopping of floors, cleaning of toilets, etc. Housekeeping is ongoing. Some cleaning activities could cause a potential hazard during operational hours (e.g., vacuuming/mopping), these are undertaken towards the end of the day.
Duties for the Youth Workers within the Centre
With the guidance of senior staff, the Youth Workers may be required to help maintain individual attendance records and encourage parental involvement / volunteering.
This is a daily event encompassing structured play, art, music, health information and games. The Youth Workers may be asked to prepare the equipment / venue for this session. The Youth Workers will also be required to assist with supervising aspects of activity sessions and help with clearing away.